Tuesday, January 4, 2011

When Harper met Oscar

Today served as the first of my "writing sessions," so I used it to rewrite the introduction between Oscar and Harper and guess what - it's 20 times better that the original - bam!

Seriously though, it really was a bit of a breakthrough. As obvious as it may sound, the style guide Mama Mac bought me discusses how writers should not talk about a character, but rather show their personality through dialogue and action. So, obsessing over this duh moment, I decided to rewrite most of the second chapter (and consequently many sections of the rest of the book). Instead of a random run-in where Harper falls head over heels for Oscar, she now brushes him off until he charms her otherwise. I think this new version shows a side to Harper that was missing, and I hope will set up the rest of the story more appropriately. I also included a bit of foreshadowing...with...drumroll...beer!

Bottom Line: Foreshadowing through beer? True confirmation that this is what I'm supposed to do with my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment